New Yorkers take their pizza really seriously.
Staten Island's considering re-naming their baseball team "The Pizza Rats." This lady even called the cops when a pizzeria delivered the wrong pizza was delivered to her house. Okay, she's from Hartford, not New York, but we'll include the tri-state area this time.
Especially since, according to NBCNewYork, for the first three years of the annual round-up of the best pizzas in the country, Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven was numero uno.
This year, they were still the best in Connecticut but bumped down to #3 overall– they were beat out by Di Fara in Midwood, Brooklyn, and John's on Bleecker, let's hear it for NY!
NY, CT, and New Jersey actually nabbed 44 spots on the list of 101 of America's best pizza, confirming reports that the tri-state area is pretty lit source of 'za.
Apparently, ranking pizzas is seriously legit; some of the important qualities considered include a balanced sauce– both salty and sweet, even cheese distribution, a flavorful crust, and of course, toppings.
The national ranking is in parentheses.
New York City
1. Classic round pie at Di Fara in Midwood (1)
2. The Boom Pie at John’s of Bleecker Street in the West Village (2)
3. Margherita at Roberta’s in Bushwick (4)
4. Margherita at Totonno’s in Coney Island (5)
5. Brussels sprout at Motorino in Williamsburg (6)
6. Pepperoni at Lucaliin Carroll Gardens (9)
7. Vodka at RubirosaRistorantein Nolita (10)
8. Sausage pie at Louie and Ernie’s in Schuylerville, Bronx (11)
9. Cheese at Joe’s Pizza in Greenwich Village (14)
10. Pepperoni at Grimaldi’s in DUMBO (17)
11. Kesté at Kesté Pizza & Vino in the West Village (18)
12. Reginaat Paulie Gee’s in Greenpoint (21)
13. Cheese at Patsy’s in the East Village (22)
14. Prince Perfection at Prince Street Pizza in Nolita (23)
15. Cheese at New Park Pizza in Howard Beach (26)
16. The Saint Louie at Speedy Romeo in Bedford-Stuyvesant (29)
17. Sausage at Denino’s in Elm Park, Staten Island (30)
18. Pepperoni at Lombardi’s in Nolita (32)
19. The Classic at Emily in Clinton Hill (40)
20. Mushroom and sausage at Nick’s Pizza in Forest Hills (41)
21. Plain cheese pie at Amore Pizzeria in Flushing (51)
22. Grandma at Williamsburg Pizza in Williamsburg (63)
23. Cheese at J&V Pizzeria in Bensonhurst (81)
24. Roni Supreme at Emmy Squared in Williamsburg (85)
25. Grandma slice at L&B Spumoni Gardens in Gravesend (98)
26. Artichoke slice at Artichoke Basille’s Pizza in the East Village (101)
1. Grandma pie at Umberto’s Pizzeria & Restaurant in New Hyde Park (64)
2. Special at Gino’s of Long Beach in Long Beach (82)
3. Vodka at King UmbertoRistorante & Pizzeria in Elmont (83)
4. Vongole Bianca at PizzetteriaBrunetti in Westhampton Beach (87)
1. White clam at Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven (3)
2. Tomato pie at Sally’s Apizza in New Haven (7)
3. Italian Bomb at Modern Apizza in New Haven (15)
4. Sausage pie at Colony Pizza in Stamford (39)
5. Plain pie at Ernie’s Pizzeria in New Haven (47)
6. Plain pie at Mike’s Apizza & Restaurant in West Haven (48)
7. Plain pie at Roseland Apizza in Derby (54)
8. Mashed potato and bacon at Bru Room at Bar in New Haven (60)
9. Special at Zuppardi’s in West Haven (61)
1. Sausage at Papa’s Tomato Pies in Robbinsville (23)
2. Tomato pie at Delorenzo’s Tomato Pies in Robbinsville (41)
3. Pepperoni Sicilian at Santillo’s Brick Oven Pizza in Elizabeth (50)
4. Thin crust at Star Tavern Pizzeria in Orange (52)
5. Gattodi potato at Reservoir Tavern in Boonton (99)[via NBCNewYork] [Feature Image Courtesy Instagram]